[gmx-users] Error in topology using g_x2top

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 24 20:21:19 CET 2014

On 12/24/14 1:39 AM, Rajan Kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to study wetting of water on Graphene oxide(GO). My
> structure has functional group in form of Hydroxyl and epoxide group
> on only one side of the Graphene sheet. Also I have added water
> molecules in form of spherical droplet on the same side of the sheet.
> Since my simulation will be periodic in the plane of the GO sheet, I
> have not capped edges with hydrogen.
>
> I have created atomtypes.atp and atomname2type.n2t based on
> connectivity of individuals atoms and added them to force field
> file(oplsaa_GO.ff) in the working directory(Thanks Justin Lemkul for
> Suggestion). Also, I have copied original opls-aa ffnonded and
> ffnonbonded topology files to my working directory.
> Have a look at my files here
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtxg36y4pv2zwto/AADoQ_Y239XuSXK7-_4PNGJ_a?dl=0
>
> After creating .gro using editconf, I generate topology using g_x2top
> which gives me following error.
>
> g_x2top -f conf.gro -o topol.top -ff oplsaa_GO
>
> Opening force field file ./oplsaa_GO.ff/atomname2type.n2t
> There are 11 name to type translations in file ./oplsaa_GO.ff
> Generating bonds from distances...
>
>   atom 420
> Can not find forcefield for atom OS-9 with 5 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OH-10 with 8 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HO-11 with 8 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OS-20 with 11 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OH-21 with 16 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HO-22 with 10 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OS-31 with 12 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OH-32 with 10 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HO-33 with 13 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OS-42 with 6 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OH-43 with 13 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OS-325 with 4 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OH-326 with 7 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HO-327 with 8 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HW2-414 with 13 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OW-415 with 4 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HW1-416 with 3 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HW2-417 with 2 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom OW-418 with 20 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HW1-419 with 9 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom HW2-420 with 6 bonds

> Program g_x2top, VERSION 4.5.5
> Source code file: g_x2top.c, line: 206
>
> Fatal error:
> Could only find a forcefield type for 238 out of 420 atoms
>
> Please help me out here.

Something is very bizarre with the input coordinates or the .n2t file, but a
quick look at the files doesn't suggest what it is.  If g_x2top is detecting 20
(yikes!) bonds for a water oxygen atom, that suggests something is
catastrophically wrong somewhere.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629