[gmx-users] gmxcheck : Magic Number Error in XTC file (read 0, should be 1995)

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:11:41 CET 2014

Hi,

The most likely explanation is that you were using a network file system
that dropped out for some time, was later restored, and it lost some data
in the meantime. This might happen if it was caching data before writing it
to disk, telling mdrun everything was OK, and something traumatic happened
in the meantime. mdrun can't reasonably find out anything until its next
attempt to write a file to disk, and whether a file system can, does or
should report failure at that time is up for debate. I would make inquiries
of your system administrators, and perhaps encourage them to make the file
system more robust. You might like to take steps to write your files to
real disk that is local to the compute node of MPI rank 0, and transfer the
file back at the end of the run. Since you've had problems, you should
definitely add a gmxcheck stage to your workflow between restarts.

Mark