[gmx-users] How to plot a droplet radius profile as a function of z-direction?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 27 15:55:46 CET 2014

On 12/27/14 2:05 AM, Kester Wong wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
>

> Q1) I would like to plot the radius profile of a water droplet on graphene, as a
> function of z-direction, as per below:
>
> http://journals.aps.org/prl/article/10.1103/PhysRevLett.109.176101/figures/2/large
>

> Which GROAMCS utility should I use, and how do I go about plotting the profile?

It will require several steps.  Not something I've ever done, but I would think
g_traj for coordinate extraction, then post-processing to calculate the diameter
or radius, would be the first step.  Presumably you would have to do this for
various slices (assuming you're looking at cross-sections in the x-y plane for
varying values of z), so g_select to define atoms within that slice will be
needed before even running g_traj.  Then you construct the profile from this
information.

> Q2) Another question that I have is, suppose I have equilibrated (NVT) a water
> droplet for 10ns, and would like to plot the H-bond density (along the
> z-direction),
>
> I type the following command:
>
> g_density_mpi -f traj_comp.xtc -n system.ndx -s topol.tpr -b 9000 -e 10000 -sl
> 1000 -dens number -o number-density-OH.xvg
>

> I was only able to select:
>
> System
>
> Graphene (my substrate)
>
> Water
>

> How can I create a system.ndx such that it allows me to choose the OH (instead
> of water)?

make_ndx or g_select create index files.  If you're defining "hydrogen bond
density" as "number of hydrogen bonds per slice," along with the above, you need
g_select and then you need g_hbond.  g_density is not the right program here.

> Q3) Regarding Q2, the g_density_mpi utility read the frames contained within the
> time frame of 9 - 10 ns, but does it average the frames to give a time-averaged
> density.xvg?

Yes.  But again, g_density is probably not what you want here; see the help
description.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629