[gmx-users] RDF calculation.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 27 15:59:06 CET 2014

On 12/27/14 4:17 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am studying the dynamics of a double stranded DNA in presence of
> small molecules. I want to study the preferential binding of these
> molecules in the grooves and backbones of the DNA and also calculate the
> feasibility of these binding in terms of calculating the free energy
> change.My question is-
>
> 1. while calculating radial distribution functions say between DNA minor
> groove and choline, should I consider the center-off-mass atom of the minor
> groove by using the -COM option of g_rdf?

I'm not sure it's useful.  Choline is a rather flexible molecule, so simply
considering the COM of the minor groove vs. all atoms of choline is probably
going to give you a very noisy profile.

> 2. Do you think calculation of PMF from g(r) for a specific ion binding
> with the DNA can provide reliable free energy change or do I have to switch
> to umbrella sampling?

This doesn't generally work well for ions, but the quality depends on the force
field.  Depending on what the ion is, the exchange rate may be impossible to
observe in an atomistic simulation.  The exchange rates for most common ions can
range from nanosecond (feasible with MD) to microsecond (not reasonable, even if
the force field is very accurate).

-Justin

> PS: I only want to investigate the small molecule binding, not the
> stability of the DNA duplex as a whole.
>
> Thanks for your time in advance.
>
> Soumadwip Ghosh
> Research Fellow