[gmx-users] low performance 2 GTX 980+ Intel CPU Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz (2011-3)

Carlos Navarro Retamal carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:43:39 CET 2014

Dear gromacs users,
I just recently bought a workstation that posees two GTX 980 plus an i7 (Intel CPU Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz (2011-3)).
In order to test it, i run a MD simulation of a system containing ~90k atoms.
These are the performances:

2 GPU’s (1 job):
34ns/day (each cards were working about ~40%)

1 GPU (Nº1)  (1 job):
37ns/day (~65% of performance)

1 GPU (Nº2) (1 job):
36ns/day (~65% of performance)

2 GPU’s (2 jobs simultaneously )
16ns/day and 16ns/day respectively. (~20% of performance each)

With respect to the last test, the .log file show the next message:

Force evaluation time GPU/CPU: 3.177 ms/5.804 ms = 0.547
For optimal performance this ratio should be close to 1!

NOTE: The GPU has >25% less load than the CPU. This imbalance cause
      performance loss.

So probably, since all the cpu is splitting between each job, the ratio GPU/CPU will be worse.

Is there a way i can solve this issue (is kind of sad that i’m getting a better performance with one GPU instead of two, since i saw that when i add a third or even a fourth one the performance start to decrease).
Here’s my .mdp file:

Kind regards,
Carlos
--