[gmx-users] low performance 2 GTX 980+ Intel CPU Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz (2011-3)

Carlos Navarro Retamal carlos.navarro87 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 19:38:36 CET 2014

Dear Justin,
Thanks a lot for your reply.

> You can use the multiple cards to run
> concurrent simulations on each (provided cooling is adequate to do this).

I tried that. I launched 2 simulation at the same time, but on each i got the next warning at the end:

> Force evaluation time GPU/CPU: 3.177 ms/5.804 ms = 0.547
> For optimal performance this ratio should be close to 1!
>

> NOTE: The GPU has >25% less load than the CPU. This imbalance cause
>       performance loss.

and i got really low performance ( ~ 17ns/day each)
using the following commands:

> mdrun -deffnm test1 -gpu_id 0 -v
> mdrun -deffnm test2 -gpu_id 1 -v

Is there a better way to perform multiple md simulations at the same time?
Best regards,
Carlos
--
Carlos Navarro Retamal