[gmx-users] Jump in temperature each time a new simulation is started.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 31 21:07:46 CET 2014

On 12/31/14 3:05 PM, Dan Sponseller wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Every time I start a new simulation from a conformation that has been well equilibrated, there is a jump in the temperature. For example, starting from a .gro file with velocities that was a well equilibrated system at 400K has initial temperature about 440K.
>
> I am not generating new velocities for the new simulation. This happens all the time. It is always about a 10% increase in the temperature.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what might be happening?

Please post your full .mdp file; there are options relevant to proper
continuation.  Also, velocities in .gro files are limited in precision.  It is
much more reliable to restart using a checkpoint file (grompp -t *.cpt).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore