[gmx-users] pbc problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 2 17:10:46 CET 2014

On 2/2/14, 7:15 AM, Atila Petrosian wrote:
> Dear Justin and Tsjerk
>
> you said " Some tools handle PBC properly, some don't ".
>
> I want to know exactly which tools of gromacs handle PBC properly.
>
> Can I find these tools in manual?

No, because it's not possible to test every single command that the user might
issue and keep a reliable database of such information.

> I did simulation of a system containing protein and cnt using gromacs 4.5.6.
>
> When I see trajectory by VMD, in some frames, protein atoms exit one side
> of box
> and enter opposite side of box. I want to do analysis of trajectory. I do
> not know
> exactly this state is pbc problem or not.

Again, that depends entirely upon the command you're using.  Tools like g_rms
have problems when molecules are split across PBC.  Other tools like g_dist or
g_msd handle the situation better.  If the protein is the only problematic
molecule, it should be rather trivial to fix the PBC issues with trjconv
-center, trjconv -pbc nojump, trjconv -pbc mol -ur compact, or trjconv -fit
translation, or perhaps some sequence of those.  Please refer to the PBC link I
have posted several times this week.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy