[gmx-users] z always small for domain decomposition grid?

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 10:56:17 CET 2014

More dimensions = more complex communication pattern. See
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct700301q

Note that it's not *always* x-y decomposition first, mdrun will look
at the dimensions of your system too. One case where manually
switching to 3D decomposition can be beneficial is when there is a
huge imbalance due to bonded interactions in the protein; with a 3D
grid these can be "spread out" among ranks better. You can try other
docomposition grids  using -dd nx ny nz.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd