[gmx-users] free energy calculations for reference state for constant pH MD simulations...

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 10 20:58:42 CET 2014

On 2/10/14, 2:48 PM, Mehmet Ozbil wrote:
> Now I successfully ( I believed so) incorporated both protonated and
> deprotonated states of GLU residue in the .top file. As I am trying to
> energy minimize the system, it gives me an error saying:
>

> WARNING 1 [file GLUTest3_GROMOS_p.top, line 52]:
>    Some parameters for bonded interaction involving perturbed atoms are
>    specified explicitly in state A, but not B - copying A to B
>
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein_chain_A'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'LIG'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Excluding 2 bonded neighbours molecule type 'SOL'
> turning H bonds into constraints...
> Coupling 1 copies of molecule type 'Protein_chain_A'
>
> NOTE 1 [file GLUTest3_GROMOS_p.top, line 141]:
>    State B has non-zero total charge: -3.770292e-04
>

> What do they mean? What shall I do regarding the non zero charge and more
> importantly the missing interactions in state B?

On line 52, you have a problem where an atom type is changing but a bonded
interaction in which it is involved is not changing.  By default, grompp simply
applies the A-state parameters in such a case, but it's probably wrong.

The charge is also a problem.  A value of that magnitude is not generally
negligible and suggests a problem with the topology.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601