[gmx-users] Issues running Gromacs with MPI/OpenMP in cpu cluster

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 19:35:03 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Thomas Schlesier <schlesi at uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm no expert for this stuff, but could it be that you generate about 40 of
> the #my_mol.log.$n# files (probably only 39)?
> It could be that the 'mpirun' starts 40 'mdrun'-jobs and each generates its
> own out put.
> For GROMACS 4.6.x I always used
> mdrun -nt X ...
> to start a parallel run (where X would be 40 in your case). I think GROMACS
> 4.6.x has the MPI stuff build into it and therefore doesn't need an external
> 'mpirun' (but i could be wrong - I only know how to use the stuff, but don't
> completly understand it...)

The build-in thread-MPI works only *within* a node. Across nodes you
need a "real" MPI.

To check what capabilities was mdrun (or any other tool) build with,
run "mdrun -version", among others you'll find a field "MPI library:"
which will list either "thread_mpi" for the build-in MPI
parallelization or "MPI" for the "real" MPI needed to run across
multiple nodes.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd