[gmx-users] hybrid CPU/GPU nodes

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 16:05:53 CET 2014

Please keep the discussion on the mailing list.

You have still not described what exactly you want to accomplish. Get
new nodes? Upgrading machines with GPUs?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Gloria Saracino <glosara at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your suggestions ... we have to have to keep an eye
> on expenses.
> The vendor proposed us to mount two GPU on the same node, but having
> multiple GPUs on the same node could be beneficial?

Multiple GPUs in a node can be beneficial.

> In this case the number of CPUcores should be increased accordingly?

In fact, typically one GPU per CPU (socket) is a good balance, but as
I said before, this greatly depends on the kind of CPUs and GPUs used.

> We would like to use these nodes to simulate large multi-molecules systems
> in explicit water and treating electrostatic interactions with PME. The aim
> is to gradually increase dimensions and simulation times starting from about
> 200.000 grains of CG force field that is about 800.000 atoms in all-atom ff.

That sounds like a decent candidate for running on GPUs. However, you
did not mention what network you have either.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd