[gmx-users] Exclude Coulomb interactions among certain atoms in SWM4 water molecule

Sandipan Dutta sandy0207 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 10:10:21 CET 2014

Hi Justin,

Thanks Justion for replying. I am currently simulating only 1 SWM4 water
molecule and I am getting a few errors.
I just want to clear up a few things below.
*1.* when I run pdb2gmx with this .rtp file

[ SM2 ]
 [ atoms ]
  OW1    WO    1.71636     0
  HW2    WH    0.55733     0
  HW3    WH    0.55733     0
   DW    WD   -1.11466     0
   SW    WS   -1.71636     0
 [ bonds ]
  OW1   HW2
  OW1   HW3
  OW1   DW
  OW1   SW

The .gro and .top file is created but I am getting this in the terminal

Making cmap torsions...There are    0 dihedrals,    0 impropers,    6 angles
             0 pairs,        4 bonds and     0 virtual sites
Total mass 18.015 a.m.u.
Total charge 0.000 e

The DW and SW are virtual particles. But I am not sure why I am getting 0
virtual sites. Though in the log file I see 1 shell and 1 Vsite.
*2.* I read in the manual that we don't to specify the angles for
dummy/shell particles
but if I keep the  OW1   DW and OW1   SW bond in .rtp file, when I run the
grompp
I get an error asking for the angles of these virtual particles. ( I found
that the TIP4 virtual particle
have some angles recorded in the [ angletypes ] section of ffbonded.itp )

If I delete the OW1   DW and OW1   SW bonds in .rtp file
then the output of pdb2gmx is

Making cmap torsions...There are    0 dihedrals,    0 impropers,    1 angles
             0 pairs,        2 bonds and     0 virtual sites
Total mass 18.015 a.m.u.
Total charge 0.000 e

The non-hydrogen bonds are missing in the .top file and I get the error in
the mdrun:

Fatal error:
Something weird with shells. They may not be bonded to something

That is strange because even though I delete the .rtp bonds those bonds
still appear in the ffbonded.itp file.
So it looks like I can not delete the bonds of the virtual particles in
.rtp file. Is that correct?
*3.* Is this problem because of the forcefield? I am currently modifying
gmx.ff.

In case I keep all the bonds in the .rtp files and put all the angles even
for the virtual particles in the ffbonded and run
mdrun I get Segmentation fault.

Can you please help me with this?

Thanks a lot again in advance.

Sandipan Dutta