[gmx-users] Binding energy of membrane protein to the membrane lipids

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 23 16:50:49 CET 2014

On 2/23/14, 10:36 AM, sojovictor wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to find the difference in the energy of binding or insertion of
> a protein into two different types of phospholipid membranes (plus water and
> ions). i.e., my hypothesis is that the energy should be lower with one type
> of membrane than with the other.
>
> I have considered an alchemical transformation from one system to the other,
> gradually replacing a lipid with the other one, but I've been unable to find
> any example of people switching off something as large as a protein; all the
> examples I find are of ligands, single aminoacid residues, or solutes, much
> smaller particles than what I'm attempting. This makes me wonder whether
> what I'm planning even makes sense, or if such a simulation would never
> converge or give reliable results due to the large vacuum in the middle of
> the membrane created upon switching off the protein.
>
> Taking guidance from Mobley,Chodera & Dill's 2006 paper on J.Chem.Phys., and
> from Justin Lemkul's tutorial, I've devised the following, potentially
> impossible, thermodynamic cycle:
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5014735/Thermodynamic_Cycle.png>
>
> Clockwise from the top left, I would do this in seven steps:
> 1) (Position?)Restrain the protein in the first membrane.
> 2) Decouple coulombic interactions in the protein (I assume annihilating
> would not be a good idea here).
> 3) Decouple Lennard-Jones interactions in the protein. This will leave me
> with a system that is effectively equivalent to an independent
> fully-restrained/non-interacting protein, and a free membrane.
> 4) Change membrane to the second type, keeping both interactions off and
> protein restriction on.
> 5) Switch on Lennard-Jones interactions.
> 6) Switch on coulombic interactions.
> 7) Remove protein restriction.
>
> I believe it wouldn't be necessary to calculate energies for the protein in
> solution, since my interest is not the free energy of binding to one
> membrane, but the change that would be experienced upon changing from one
> membrane to the other.

This sort of contradicts what you said in your first sentence.  I take it you're
interested more in a transfer free energy between the two lipid types?

> Now, my initial impression is that this would not work, but I can't think of
> anything better, so I'd very much welcome input.
>
> Alternatively, I have considered umbrella sampling: I would pull the protein
> out of one of the membranes, separately do the same with the other membrane,
> and see what's the difference, but I can't think of anything I could keep as
> the reference system for the centre of mass (the membrane does not seem to
> be a good idea).

Why not?  This seems to be the clearest approach to me, which also has the
upside that it avoids the possible unphysical outcomes of trying to alchemically
transform a protein.  The complex system of restraints that would be necessary
would, in my mind, seriously complicate the interpretation of the outcome.  A
one-dimensional reaction coordinate along the normal to the bilayer seems
intuitive and straightforward to calculate.

-Justin

> In general, any advice on how to proceed with this calculation, a reference
> to the literature, or wild guesses, would be very welcome!
>
> Thanks, all.
>

> Victor Sojo

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy