[gmx-users] Binning of Free Energy landscapes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 25 18:47:42 CET 2014

On 2/25/14, 8:30 AM, Ankita Naithani wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I actually wanted to know that for instance if my
> input to g_sham were my two principal components so would the bin indexes
> contain the frame numbers or time points? I get 1024 bins, and so I was
> confused as to how exactly and what does these indexes account for.

Offhand, I think the indexes refer to frame indices, but I haven't looked into
that for a long time so I could be forgetting.  The source code will tell you
for sure, or you can determine what's going on simply by what the numbers are -
the distinction between the group sizes and values printed should be apparent.

-Justin

> Kind regards,
>
> Ankita
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 2/25/14, 4:54 AM, Ankita Naithani wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering as to what exactly happens during the binning of Free
>>> Energy Landscapes as generated by g_sham? I generated Free Energy
>>> Landscapes using g_sham and my Principal Components but I am trying to
>>> understand what does bin account for and how exactly does it function?
>>>

>> It's just a histogram, with a bin width set using -bw.  The first
>> paragraph of g_sham -h describes what the calculations are.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences