[gmx-users] C-terminus residue name in Gromos43a1

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 25 19:08:58 CET 2014

On 2/25/14, 12:56 PM, Francesca Vitalini wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> However I noticed that I had made a mistake and there is no definition of
> NAC in GROMOS53a6, it was the .rtp file of OPLS-AA I was looking at.
>
> So defining a new residue-type in the rtp file is not as trivial as I had
> hoped.
> I followed the instructions given on the GROMACS wab page
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field
>
> and copied the gromos43a1.ff folder and the residuetypes.dat file in my
> local directory.
> I have added the following definition of NAC to the
> gromos43a1.ff/aminoacids.rtp file
>
> [ NAC ]
>   [ atoms ]
>          N     N    -0.28000     0
>          H     H     0.28000     0
>         CA   CH3     0.00000     0
>   [ bonds ]
>          N    CA    gb_20
>          N     H    gb_2

You're missing a bond here, from N to -C.

>   [ angles ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak   gromos type
>         -C     N     H     ga_31
>          H     N    CA     ga_17
>         -C     N    CA     ga_30
>   [ impropers ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
>      N    -C    CA     H     gi_1
>   [ dihedrals ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
>    -CA    -C     N    CA     gd_4
>
> and then tried again the pdb2gmx command as following and obtained this
> error
> Fatal error:
> There is a dangling bond at at least one of the terminal ends. Select a
> proper terminal entry.
>

> Evidently I have not defined correctly my NAC residue. However, I am not
> sure of how to correctly define the bonds in this specific case. Could you
> possibly identify the error and/or point me where to find detailed
> information? I have already looked at the manual but haven't been able to
> come up with successful definition.

You need to use pdb2gmx -ter and select "None" for the C-terminus, otherwise
pdb2gmx tries to build a carboxylate.  When it can't find the atoms it needs to
do this, it fails.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601