[gmx-users] simulation using tabulated dihedral potentials.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 14:56:08 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Chandan Choudhury <iitdckc at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>           Tab. Angles of    800 missing      3           Tab. Dih. of
> >>  560
> >>  missing      4Molecule type 'POLCAR'the first 10 missing interactions,
> >>
> >> except for exclusions:           Tab. Dih. atoms    2    3    4    5
> >> global   566   567   568   569          Tab. Angles atoms    3    4
> >> 5      global   567   568   569           Tab. Dih. atoms    3    4    5
> >> 6 global   567   568   569   570         Tab. Angles atoms    4    5
> >> 6      global   568   569   570            Tab. Dih. atoms    4    5
> >> 6    7 global   568   569   570   571          Tab. Bonds atoms    5
> >> 6           global   569   570         Tab. Angles atoms    5    6
> >> 7      global   569   570   571            Tab. Dih. atoms    5    6
> >> 7    8 global   569   570   571
> >> 572-------------------------------------------------------Program
> >> mdrun_463, VERSION 4.6.3Source code file:
> >>
> >> /tmp/gromacs-4.6.3/src/mdlib/domdec_top.c, line: 393 Fatal error:8 of
> the
> >> 2240 bonded interactions could not be calculated because some atoms
> >> involved moved further apart than the multi-body cut-off distance (1.5
> nm
> >> )
> >> or the two-body cut-off distance (1.5 nm), see option -rdd, for pairs
> and
> >> tabulated bonds also see option -ddcheck For more information and tips
> >> for
> >> troubleshooting, please check the GROMACSwebsite at
> >> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
> >> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors>---------
> >> ----------------------------------------------*
> >>

> >> I do not understand the origin of problem. Can any one suggest how do
> the
> >> dihedrals should be taken care?
> >>

> > Without the tabulated dihedrals, the system runs.  With them, it crashes.
> >  It seems quite evident to me that whatever potential you are attempting
> > apply is the direct cause of instability.  The dihedrals are either badly
> > parametrized or incorrectly implemented, but the source of the problem at
> > this point is clear.
>

> Thanks Justin for the response.
> According to you dihedrals are badly parameterized or incorrectly
> implemented.
>
> A. I follow the Boltzmann inversion (BI) method to get the dihedral
> potentials. I follow the steps outlined in VOTCA to obtain the tables. Here
> are summarize what I did to obtain the dihedral tables:
> 1. Using BI method, I obtain the potential from distributions.
> 2. The potentials are then smoothed and extrapolated, as implemented in
> VOTCA.
> 3. Then generate the tables.
>
> I have uploaded the tables (along with necessary files) at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/yumzdufuys1ifdr/with-dih.tar.
>
> B. If the tabulated dihedrals are incorrectly implemented, then can you
> guide me how can this be checked and confirmed?
> Guidance regarding this would be very helpful.

Expanding on my suggestion several weeks ago, set up a toy system with a
geometry you know, e.g. united-atom butane with a given dihedral angle.
With a spreadsheet or something, compute what the potential and force
should be with your tabulated interaction. Then compute a
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Single-Point_Energy using your
table with mdrun. Try other configurations. Very likely you will not get
agreement and you need to work out where the table construction is
incorrect.

Mark