[gmx-users] How to define pull-init for two pull groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jan 18 21:11:17 CET 2014

On 1/17/14, 8:06 PM, Rini Gupta wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> That means if I will use the frames generated by script (setup-umbrella.py)
> it will not generate a sufficient overlap between adjacent
> windows  for this system?

What I'm saying is that I know the scripts, input files, etc. work as advertised
for the system in the tutorial.  They may or may not work for any other system
you may create.  That's up to you do evaluate.

> So, In order to extract starting window structures for umbrella sampling of
> my system I prepared a  list of frames at a distance of 0.1 nm
> including frames where distance between reference group and pull group is
> decreasing in steps of 0.1 nm and then increasing by same amount.
>   Please let me know if this is right.

Whether or not something is "right" depends on whether or not it works.  In the
case of umbrella sampling, that means the sampling overlap is adequate.  Again,
that is for you to judge.

> Then, in order to equilibrate each of these initial configuration, I use
> the following .mdp settings (as given by tutorial)
>

>> ; Pull code
>> pull            = umbrella
>> pull_geometry   = position  ;
>> pull_dim        = N N Y
>> pull_start      = yes        ; define initial COM distance > 0
>> pull_ngroups    = 2
>> pull_group0     = cbilayer  ; center of carbon's of bilayer
>> pull_group1     = phosup   ; phosphate atom of 16th PEPC in top
>> pull_pbcatom1   = 0
>> pull_vec1       = 0.0 0.0 -1.0
>> pull_init1      = 0 0 0
>> pull_rate1      = 0      ; no pulling
>> pull_k1         = 1000      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>> pull_group2     = phoslow   ; phosphate atom of 56th PEPC in bottom
>> pull_pbcatom2   = 0
>> pull_vec2       = 0.0 0.0 1.0
>> pull_init2      = 0 0 0
>> pull_rate2      = 0      ; no pulling
>> pull_k2         = 1000      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>> pull_nstxout    = 100      ; every 2 ps
>> pull_nstfout    = 100      ; every 2 ps
>>

> After equilibration of 4 ns, if I want to extend these runs  for longer
> time using tpbconv:
>
> # tpbconv_mpi_d -f npt0.trr -s npt0.tpr -e npt0.edr -n index.ndx -extend
> 2000 -o npt0.tpr
> # mdrun_mpi_d -s npt0.tpr -cpi npt0.cpt -deffnm ${MDRUN_RUN_NAME}

> Program tpbconv_mpi_d, VERSION 4.6.2
> Source code file: /home/roman/gromacs-4.6.2/src/gmxlib/index.c, line: 1192
>
> Fatal error:
> Cannot read from input
> and
> Program mdrun_mpi_d, VERSION 4.6.2
> Source code file: /home/roman/gromacs-4.6.2/src/gmxlib/checkpoint.c, line:
> 2118
>
> Fatal error:
> Can't read 34580 bytes of 'npt0.xvg' to compute checksum. The file has been
> replaced or its contents have been modified. Cannot do appending because of
> this condition.
> didn’t get any satisfactory answer for extending equilibration or even
> production runs (which generate pullf.xvg and pullx.xvg files)
> for these umbrella sampling simulations.

I seem to recall appending to .xvg files is broken.  Just use the -noappend
option of mdrun.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy