[gmx-users] How to build a 20 unit chain of chondroitin 6 sulfate? Help needed!

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 21 04:39:13 CET 2014

On 1/20/14, 8:15 PM, Libin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have the pdb file of a single unit of chondroitin 6 sulfate and need to
> build a chain consisting of 20 units of the same.
> As I am new to gromacs, i would be glad to get proper directions to do the
> same.

Gromacs has limited capability in terms of constructing molecules in this way.
One possible method would be to place the monomer, with its principal axis along
x (editconf -princ) in a box of with correct dimensions such that images would
be spaced one bond length away (editconf -d as appropriate), then run genconf
-nbox 20 1 1.  That's about the only Gromacs-centric way of building the
polymer.  If that doesn't work, you'll likely have to use some other software to
build it.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy