[gmx-users] Error in grompp for protein-ligand tutorial

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 28 14:04:33 CET 2014

On 1/27/14, 2:15 PM, José Adriano da Silva wrote:
>   I am new to Gromacs, then follow the tutorial protein-ligand, decided to
> adapt the procedure for my protein (acetylcholinesterase) and my binder. The
> procedure is this (protein-ligand complex):
>

> <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/comp
> lex/index.html>
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/compl
> ex/index.html
>

> Well, I switched to facilitate the name of my protein and my binder by the
> names used in the tutorial. The problem occurs when I do the command:
>

> grompp -f em.mdp -c solv.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr
>

> The following error occurs:
>

> Fatal error:
>
> Molecule type 'Protein_chain_A' contains no atoms

The error suggests that the topology is probably empty, which you can inspect
with a text editor.  Maybe pdb2gmx failed, but the fatal error from that step
should have been quite obvious.  Otherwise, some modification that you have made
to the topology has rendered its format unintelligible.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601