[gmx-users] Changed order of molecules in top

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 2 12:26:27 CEST 2014

On 7/2/14, 3:31 AM, Emma Ahlstrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with that the order of atoms in my topology does not match the order of atoms in the gro-file. I use amber99sb and I have built itp-files on my own for the molecules that are not present in the "library". Each IMI contains 9 atoms and each SOL 3 atoms and the ZN is one atom so in total it should be 9*2+3*2+1=25 atoms in total, which is present in the .gro file, but when I run with the topology-file pasted below I get a error the this file contains 34 atoms.
>
> This is my topologyfile:
>
> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "amber99sb.ff/forcefield.itp"
>

> ; Additional atom types
>
> [ atomtypes ]
> ; name at_name at_num mass     charge   ptype  sigma        epsilon     ; sw   ref
> Zn++  Zn++    30     65.37000  2.000    A    1.94216e-01  1.046       ; 1    Stote Proteins 23:12 1995
>
> ; Include topology for ions
> #include "zn.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "spcetestamber.itp"
>
> ; Include topology for imidazole
> #include "imiamberrtp.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> [system ]
> ; Name
> ZnHis2Wa2
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> ZN2+             1
> IMI              2
> SOL              2
>
> -----------------------------
>
> Fatal error:
> number of coordinates in coordinate file (ZnHis2Wa2optM06.gro, 25)
>               does not match topology (ZnHis2Wa2optM06amber.top, 34)
>

> Since the difference is 9 atoms, I thought that the difference is one IMI, so I tried with one less IMI in the topology, printed below.
>
> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "amber99sb.ff/forcefield.itp"
>

> ; Additional atom types
>
> [ atomtypes ]
> ; name at_name at_num mass     charge   ptype  sigma        epsilon     ; sw   ref
> Zn++  Zn++    30     65.37000  2.000    A    1.94216e-01  1.046       ; 1    Stote Proteins 23:12 1995
>
> ; Include topology for ions
> #include "zn.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "spcetestamber.itp"
>
> ; Include topology for imidazole
> #include "imiamberrtp.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>     1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> [system ]
> ; Name
> ZnHis2Wa2
>
> [ molecules ]
> [...]

No, your coordinate file has IMI first.  grompp expects the input coordinates
and topology to be in the same order.  You list Zn, IMI, and SOL in the .top -
that is the expected order in the coordinates.  As reported by grompp, that is
not the case.  There should be no "probably" here; with such a small system it
should be very easy to inspect the .gro file in a text editor and see precisely
what is going on.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601