[gmx-users] Problem related to solvating CNT and then removing out the molecules inside CNT

vivek sinha viveksinha20002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 06:53:11 CEST 2014

Hey Justin,
I will tell you the steps that I took for the simulation from the beginning.
1. Generated a tube online
http://turin.nss.udel.edu/research/tubegenonline.html
2. Attched Hydrogen to it using pymol and converted to .gro and then .top
file
3. Solvated using genbox -cp cnt_sl.gro -cs spc216.gro -o cnt_solvated.gro
-p topol.top
4. Remove atoms from center using c++ script which does not numbers the
atoms again. My 12663 atoms changed to 12183 after this.
5. Energy minimisation: grompp -f minim.mdp -c ___.gro -p ___.top -o em.tpr
mdrun -v -deffnm em

The next step about equibilating is giving a segmentation fault.
The minim.mdp is
-----------------------------------
; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
integrator    = steep        ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
minimization)
emtol        = 1000.0      ; Stop minimization when the maximum force <
1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size
nsteps        = 50000          ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist            = 1            ; Frequency to update the neighbor list
and long range forces
cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
ns_type            = grid        ; Method to determine neighbor list
(simple, grid)
coulombtype        = PME        ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
interactions
rcoulomb        = 0.9        ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw            = 0.9        ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc                = xyz         ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
And I have already sent you the nvt.mdp settings that I am using.

Please help me in completing my simulation.

Thanking You,
Vivek Sinha