[gmx-users] inconsistency in obtained temperature values by traj and g_energy tools

Rasoul Nasiri nasiri1355 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 14:46:21 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 7/13/14, 8:41 PM, Rasoul Nasiri wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

>>> Number of degrees of freedom that g_traj assumes: 96900 * 3 = 290700
>>>

>> I think translational modes should be reduced, having said this for N
>> total
>> atoms with fixed mumentum into the cell (290700-3) must be more accurate.
>>

> g_traj has no knowledge of COM treatment, periodicity, etc, so such an
> operation is not necessary (not that it makes any difference in this case).

It hasn't but we know that the conservation of momentum among the cells
definitely affect the produced trajectory.
I agree it cannot make significant effects in my system but it's not the
general case.

>  If anything, the degrees of freedom associated with translational and/or
> rotational motion have been corrected by grompp, so the manipulation would
> lie in the denominator, but if using the quantity printed by grompp, you
> don't need any further subtraction.

Having said this if you compare T in two different systems (using PBC and
another VBC) obtained by g_traj, you will see there are some differences.

 -Justin

Rasoul