[gmx-users] water and alkanes with Drude oscillators

Yana Tsoneva fhyt at chem.uni-sofia.bg
Tue Jul 22 10:25:05 CEST 2014

Ok, thanks! And what about my water simulations with SWM4-NDP?
Yana

Message: 6

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:16:06 -0400

From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>

To: gmx-users at gromacs.org

Subject: Re: [gmx-users] water and alkanes with Drude oscillators

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9TORs2slHYjQjY3em1mdEU3N1U&usp=sharing
[https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9TORs2slHYjQjY3em1mdEU3N1U&usp=sharing]

>   will wait for the CHARMM Drude oscillators FF to be implemented in

> GROMACS. Please, would You be so kind to notify me when it is done.

I will announce it's availability via this list when it is ready.

-Justin

> Best regards,

> Yana

> On 7/18/14, 7:28 AM, Yana Tsoneva wrote:

>> Dear colleagues,

>> I am dealing with systems consisting of water/different oils. I am

>> using Gromacs-4.6.5. I have wrote to You twice about my problems (You can

>> find my previous messages and their answers below), but I still can not

> deal

>> with them.

>> Until now I ran my simulations with TIP4P water model and AMBER99 FF

>> for the alkanes. First I wrote to You because I wanted to simulate

>> polarizable water with non-polarizable alkanes, but I understood that I

> can

>> not do it.

>> This is why I tried to simulate SWM4-NDP that has to be consistent with

>> CHARMM FF (for wich there are implemented Drude oscillators), the .itp
and

>> .mdp files of which are attached. Obviously, there is a problem with the

>> parameters I use, but I do not know where exactly it is. This is why I am

>> turning to You for help.

> Attachments are not accepted by the list.  If you wish to share files,
post

> them

> to file-sharing services and provide a URL.

>> In addition, I still can not understand how I can use CHARMM FF with

>> massless Drude oscillators with SWM4-NDP (I think its Drude particle is

>> massless as well) in Gromacs.

>> Please, explain to me how to do it, because I am totally lost.

> To get this to work properly, you need to implement a self-consistent
force

> field from scratch.  Being that I can't see what you've tried (see above),

> it's

> hard to suggest a path forward, but as I said in my earlier message, it is

> currently not possible to directly use the CHARMM Drude polarizable force

> field

> in Gromacs (see below for my previous reply).  It will be possible
sometime

> in

> the (relatively) near future, as I have code that will do this, but we're

> working out the final kinks.  The current shell code in Gromacs assumes

> massless

> shells, and that screws up degrees of freedom and thermostats when using

> mass-bearing Drude particles, which have to be treated in a special way

> within

> the code.

> -Justin

>> Looking forward to your reply,

>> Yana

>> On 7/9/14, 3:56 AM, Yana Tsoneva wrote:

>>> Dear colleagues,

>>> I am running simulations using Gromacs - 4.6.5 and my systems consist of

>>> water/different oils. Until now I have used TIP4P water model and
amber99

>>> for the alkanes.

>>> I need to run the same simulations, but with a polarizable water model.

>>> succeeded in simulating pure polarizable water (sw-rigid of van

> Gusteren),

>>> but now I have problems adding the alkanes. I know that I should not mix

>>> different force fields, but is there any chance for me to simulate

>>> polarizable water and non-polarizable alkanes? If there is one, can you

>> tell

>>> me how to do it? I read that there is a modification of the CHARMM force

>>> field to simulate alkanes with Drude oscillators. Is this the way to

>> achieve

>>> compatibility of the force fields?

>> The CHARMM Drude FF for alkanes was parametrized against SWM4-DP, not SW,

> so

>> such a combination is not valid.  You need a self-consistent force field.

>> doubt that an additive model of alkanes in conjunction with a polarizable

>> model

>> of water would be reliable.

>> -Justin

>> On 7/14/14, 6:17 AM, Yana Tsoneva wrote:

>>> Dear colleagues,

>>> Firstly, I want to thank Justin Lemkul for helping me on the topic

>>> "polarizable water and non-polarizable alkanes". Now I have to

>>> simulate systems that consist of polarizable water and polarizable

>> alkanes.

>>> The chosen force field is CHARMM with Drude oscillators.

>>> I am trying to use the python script cgenff_charmm2gmx.py to generate
the

>>> needed files, but the following error occurs:

>>> NOTE1: Code tested with python 2.7.3. Your version: 2.6.6 (r266:84292,

> Jan

>>> 22 2014, 09:42:36)

>>> [GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4)]

>>> NOTE2: Please be sure to use the same version of CGenFF in your

>> simulations

>>> that was used during parameter generation:

>>> --Version of CGenFF detected in  charmm36-mar2014.ff//forcefield.doc :

>>> 2b8

>>> NOTE3: In order to avoid duplicated parameters, do NOT select the

> 'Include

>>> parameters that are already in CGenFF' option when uploading a molecule

>> into

>>> CGenFF.

>>> error in atomgroup.py: read_mol2_coor_only: natoms in mol2 .ne. top

>>> 17 0

>>> I found that another person had this problem, but I still could not fix

>> it.

>>> I have attached the files I am using. The command line I enter is:

>>> ./cgenff_charmm2gmx.py PENT pentane.mol2

>>> ./drude_toppar_oct13/toppar_drude_model_2013a.str charmm36-mar2014.ff

>>> I will really appreciate if someone could help me,

>> The CGenFF conversion script is intended to process a .mol2 file with a

>> single

>> molecule and a corresponding .str file with a single molecule.  What

> you're

>> trying to do is doomed to fail for two reasons:

>> 1. The toppar_drude_model_2013a.str file contains all model compounds we

>> used in

>> the parametrization of the Drude FF

>> 2. CHARMM36 from March 2014 is an additive force field.

>> Please also note that our parametrization of the Drude FF is with

>> thermalized,

>> mass-bearing Drude particles.  In principle, these types of systems can
be

>> simulated in Gromacs using an SCF procedure to solve the positions of the

>> Drude

>> particles, but not out of the box in the case of mass-bearing Drudes.  I

> am

>> working on implementing all of the necessary algorithms to make this a

>> reality,

>> but the code is not yet suitable for public consumption.  Using massless

>> Drudes/shells will work fine, but strictly speaking that is not the Drude

> FF

>> that we have parametrized.

>> -Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences

School of Pharmacy

Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601

University of Maryland, Baltimore

20 Penn St.

Baltimore, MD 21201

[http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~jalemkul]

* Please search the archive at
http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List
[http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List] before
posting!

[http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists]

* For (un)subscribe requests visit

a mail to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

End of gromacs.org_gmx-users Digest, Vol 123, Issue 117