[gmx-users] Gromacs performance on virtual servers

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 01:59:50 CEST 2014

Hi

In general, virtualization will always have an overhead, but if done
well, the performance should be close to that of bare metal. However,
for GROMACS the ideal scenario is exclusive host access (including
hypervisor) and thread affinities which will both depend on the
hypervisor configuration. Hence, if you can, you should try to get
access to virtual hosts that fully utilize a compute node and do not
share it with others.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Except for huge simulation systems, GROMACS performance past a single node
> is dominated by network latency, so unless you can extract a promise that
> any multi-node runs will have Infiniband-quality latency (because the nodes
> are physically in the same room, and on Infiniband) you can forget about
> doing multi-node MD on such a system.

Two remarks:

* With a slow network the only parallelization you can potentially
make use of is multi-sim, unless your environment is so could-y that
some nodes can have tens to hundreds of ms latency which can kill even
you multi-sim performance (depending on how fast each simulation is
and how often do they sync).

* I've seen several claims that *good* 10/40G Ethernet can get close
to IB even in latency, even for MD, and even for GROMACS, e.g:
http://goo.gl/JrNxKf, http://goo.gl/t0z15f

Cheers,
--
Szilárd