[gmx-users] hints for core/shell optimization?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 29 23:44:55 CEST 2014

On 7/29/14, 9:33 AM, Tamas Karpati wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I've tried applying the [thole_polarization] section in
> the format you've suggested. I've noticed the followings.
>

> 1. First I made a mistake and forgot to remove the [polarization]
> section from the TOP file. Even this way MDRUN worked and indicated
> the usual ca. 10 kJ/mol contribution from polarization.
> Besides a new contribution of ca. 600 kJ/mol appeared from Thole pol.
>
> I switched the former off to have just one kind of pol effect.
> Is this correct?

No, they're not mutually exclusive.  The Thole function screens nearby dipoles
so they don't experience artificial forces.  The "thole_polarization" name is a
bit unfortunate; it should really be "thole_screening" instead.

I suspect you're seeing large forces due to one (or more effects).  If your
model doesn't have any bonds, then you don't have any excluded interactions, so
instead of getting a screened Coulombic interaction via Thole screening, you're
getting both added together.  You should make use of [exclusions] for
neighboring pairs, likely, but I guess the bigger question is how your force
field was parametrized and what its expected behavior should be.

The other effect is one that I noticed this weekend.  I think the forces coming
out of the Thole function are incorrect; at least they are in the case of our
Drude polarizable force field.  I changed the force calculation and everything
works as expected now, in my development version of the code.

> 2. I assumed that in the [thole_polarization] section of the TOP
> file I needed to select which dipole pairs are to be included on
> basis of my "chemical intuition" -if I had any. I tried a few radii
> of "sphere-of-inclusion" but saw little differences.
>
> Is it a correct selection for Thole screening? (I have a crystal
> with separate ions held together by Buckingham forces and Thole
> polarization -there are no bonds at all.)
>
> Do I have a way to switch on/off intercell dipole interactions?

I don't know what the right answer is here.  What is the source of the force
field parameters?  In our Drude model, 1-2 and 1-3 interactions (based on atom
connectivity, not Drude connectivity) are excluded and electrostatics calculated
via Thole.  You don't have any bonds, so the choice here is not exactly clear
and I don't want to pre-judge without knowing what the force field is or how it
should be expected to behave.

> 3. Playing with the "a" factor of the Thole scheme resulted in more
> pronounced changes in the contribution from polarization but I still

As it should; the value of a should be the sum of the two atomic Thole factors,
or 2.6, whichever your force field uses.

> see too strong Coulombic interactions. Omitting shell particles and
> thus polarization do scale Coulombics down by a factor of 100 or 1000.
> I guess that using [polarization] all dipoles interact with all the
> others (although no idea how dipoles interact through walls of the cell).
> I imagine that in the [thole_polarization] case only those dipole pairs
> will interact that I have mindlessly selected.
>
> In contrast with my expectation I noticed an order of magnitude
> greater Thole pol. values than Polarization values in the simple
> pol. case. (For your information, I have ca. 2000 atoms + 1000 shell
> particles in a box of ca. 3x3x3 nm. In case of the Thole scheme
> I have ca. 1e5 pcs. of dipole pairs with a 1 nm radius for inclusion
> while ca. 15000 for a radius of 0.5 nm.)

Sounds like it could be incorrect forces, but without seeing the Thole section
of your topology, I can't say for sure.

0.5 - 1.0 nm sounds like far too large of a radius for Thole interactions.

-Justin