[gmx-users] hardware setup for gmx

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:42:26 CEST 2014

Dear Michael,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Michael Brunsteiner <mbx0009 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear Szilard,
>
> sorry for bothering you again ... regarding performance tuning by adjusting
> the VdW and Coulomb cut-offs you wrote:

No worries, I am happy to answer on the list whenever I can!

> The PP-PME load balancing - which acts as CPU-GPU load balancing - is
> meant to take care of that by  scaling only rcoulomb to adjust the
> real vs reciprocal space load while keeping rvdw fixed. This is not
> perfect, though as short- and long-range interaction cost scales quite
> differently and it does not always work perfectly either, bu
>
> hut here:
>
> http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Release_Notes/Versions_4.6.x
>
> it says:
>
> "Made g_tune_pme honour the requirement that the van der Waals radius must
> equal the Coulomb radius with Verlet cut-off scheme #1460"

Unfortunately, that's a very crude and developer-centric commit
message that IMO should not end up straight in the release notes, but
let's not get off-topic.

> does this mean that what you wrote does not apply to the Verlet cut-off
> scheme?

No, the difference is that the user can't set rvdw != rcoulomb in the
mdp file, but mdrun itself can increase rcoulomb to shift work from
long- to short-range calculation. So the above commit message refers
to the mdp/tpr generated by g_tune_pme having to respect rvdw ==
rcoulomb.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd