[gmx-users] Need some help with membrane simulation

Ali Khan akk5r at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 5 20:47:09 CEST 2014

I am using the charmm36 force field.

*My energy minimization .mdp file:*
; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
integrator = steep ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
emtol = 1000.0   ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 1000.0
kJ/mol/nm
emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
nsteps = 50000000   ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist = 1 ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
ns_type = grid ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
rlist = 1.2 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
coulombtype = PME ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
rcoulomb = 1.2 ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw = 1.2 ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc = xyz ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
vdw-type        = cutoff
vdw-modifier = Potential-shift-Verlet
cutoff-scheme = Verlet

*Temperature equilibration .mdp file:*
title = NVT equilibration
define = -DPOSRES ; position restrain the protein
; Run parameters
integrator = md ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps = 500000 ; 2 * 500000 = 1000 ps
dt = 0.002 ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout = 0
nstvout = 0
nstenergy = 500
nstlog = 0
; Bond parameters
continuation = no ; first dynamics run
constraint_algorithm = lincs ; holonomic constraints
constraints = all-bonds ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds) constrained
lincs_iter = 1 ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order = 4 ; also related to accuracy
; Neighborsearching
ns_type = grid ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist = 5 ; 10 fs
rlist = 1.2 ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb = 1.2 ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw = 1.2 ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rvdw-switch              = 0.8
; long-range cut-off for switched potentials
rlistlong                = 1.4
; Electrostatics
coulombtype = PME ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
pme_order = 4 ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing = 0.16 ; grid spacing for FFT
; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
epsilon_r                = 1
epsilon_rf               = 1
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl = V-rescale ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps = POPC Water_and_ions ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t = 0.1 0.1 ; time constant, in ps
ref_t = 310 310 ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
; Pressure coupling is off
pcoupl = no ; no pressure coupling in NVT
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc = xyz ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr = No ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = cutoff
vdw-modifier = Potential-shift-Verlet
cutoff-scheme = Verlet
; Velocity generation
gen_vel = yes ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
gen_temp = 310 ; temperature for Maxwell distribution
gen_seed = -1 ; generate a random seed