[gmx-users] Need some help with membrane simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 5 23:14:03 CEST 2014

On 6/5/14, 4:57 PM, Ali Khan wrote:
> Justin,
>
> 4.6.5 does not have Potential-switch-Verlet. When I added the other
> changes, I still had the same error.

Likely something more fundamental is wrong with the system.  What was the
outcome of EM?  Exact numbers produced by mdrun, please.

> Are these recommendations ones that I should generally use when
> implementing charmm in gromacs?

Yes.  I'm still experimenting with all the new Gromacs features, but as best I
can tell, in terms of reproducing a "normal" CHARMM setup:

cutoff-scheme = Verlet
vdwtype = cutoff
vdw-modifier = Potential-switch
coulombtype = PME
rlist = 1.2
rvdw = 1.2
rvdw-switch = 1.0
rcoulomb = 1.2

-Justin

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 6/5/14, 2:47 PM, Ali Khan wrote:
>>
>>> I am using the charmm36 force field.
>>>
>>> *My energy minimization .mdp file:*
>>>
>>> ; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
>>> ; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
>>> integrator = steep ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
>>> emtol = 1000.0   ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 1000.0
>>> kJ/mol/nm
>>> emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
>>> nsteps = 50000000   ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform
>>>
>>> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
>>> calculate the interactions
>>> nstlist = 1 ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
>>> ns_type = grid ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
>>> rlist = 1.2 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
>>> coulombtype = PME ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
>>> rcoulomb = 1.2 ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
>>> rvdw = 1.2 ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
>>> pbc = xyz ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
>>> vdw-type        = cutoff
>>> vdw-modifier = Potential-shift-Verlet
>>> cutoff-scheme = Verlet
>>>

>>> *Temperature equilibration .mdp file:*
>>>
>>> title = NVT equilibration
>>> define = -DPOSRES ; position restrain the protein
>>> ; Run parameters
>>> integrator = md ; leap-frog integrator
>>> nsteps = 500000 ; 2 * 500000 = 1000 ps
>>> dt = 0.002 ; 2 fs
>>> ; Output control
>>> nstxout = 0
>>> nstvout = 0
>>> nstenergy = 500
>>> nstlog = 0
>>> ; Bond parameters
>>> continuation = no ; first dynamics run
>>> constraint_algorithm = lincs ; holonomic constraints
>>> constraints = all-bonds ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds) constrained
>>> lincs_iter = 1 ; accuracy of LINCS
>>> lincs_order = 4 ; also related to accuracy
>>> ; Neighborsearching
>>> ns_type = grid ; search neighboring grid cells
>>> nstlist = 5 ; 10 fs
>>> rlist = 1.2 ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
>>> rcoulomb = 1.2 ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
>>> rvdw = 1.2 ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
>>> rcoulomb-switch          = 0
>>> rvdw-switch              = 0.8
>>>

>> Use rvdw-switch = 1.0.
>>

>>   ; long-range cut-off for switched potentials
>>> rlistlong                = 1.4
>>>

>> Probably never had the desired effect in terms of using CHARMM force
>> fields and isn't necessary.  The Verlet scheme with rlist = 1.2 should
>> provide adequate buffer space.
>>

>>   ; Electrostatics
>>> coulombtype = PME ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
>>> pme_order = 4 ; cubic interpolation
>>> fourierspacing = 0.16 ; grid spacing for FFT
>>> ; Relative dielectric constant for the medium and the reaction field
>>> epsilon_r                = 1
>>> epsilon_rf               = 1
>>> ; Temperature coupling is on
>>> tcoupl = V-rescale ; modified Berendsen thermostat
>>> tc-grps = POPC Water_and_ions ; two coupling groups - more accurate
>>> tau_t = 0.1 0.1 ; time constant, in ps
>>> ref_t = 310 310 ; reference temperature, one for each group, in K
>>> ; Pressure coupling is off
>>> pcoupl = no ; no pressure coupling in NVT
>>> ; Periodic boundary conditions
>>> pbc = xyz ; 3-D PBC
>>> ; Dispersion correction
>>> DispCorr = No ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
>>> ; Method for doing Van der Waals
>>> vdw-type                 = cutoff
>>> vdw-modifier = Potential-shift-Verlet
>>>

>> Use Potential-switch-Verlet.  I don't remember if this was added to the
>> code in time for 4.6.5, but it works well in any of the 5.0 releases.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

>>   cutoff-scheme = Verlet
>>> ; Velocity generation
>>> gen_vel = yes ; assign velocities from Maxwell distribution
>>> gen_temp = 310 ; temperature for Maxwell distribution