[gmx-users] Regarding membrane construction

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 9 14:00:39 CEST 2014

On 6/9/14, 3:22 AM, 陈功 wrote:
> Dear Venkat, I guess there are some other methods to generate  new lipid
> bilayer construct by using genbox -cp your_membrane_protein -ci lipid_monomer
> -nmol xxxcalculate by yourself -try 1000 -cs solovents.gro -p top.top -o
> new_conf.gro or using editconf & cat ...Another way, you can try the script
> packmol. Be more patient.  haha, I m also a new gmx user. Good  luck, chen

Packmol is a good choice, but the approach above with genbox likely won't work.
  It will produce a random insertion of lipids.  The simplest way within Gromacs
to create a membrane of sufficient size is to place the protein in a suitably
sized box (with editconf) and then

genbox -cp protein.gro -cs membrane.gro -o protein_in_membrane.gro

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore