[gmx-users] Adding polyatomic ions using genion or genbox ..

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:38:19 CEST 2014

On 6/13/14, 7:33 AM, Alberto Sergio Garay wrote:
> Dear Users:
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to add some polyatomic ions inside a
> pre-equilibrated (water + solute) system using genion or genbox...?
>
> I don't want to lose my equilibrated water around my macromolecule...
>
> If this is not possible can you give any piece of advice of how I can do it..

In either case (adding before or after solvation), genbox -ci -nmol is the way
to go.  Depending on the size of your polyatomic ions, they may fit in the
pre-equilibrated system.  If not, you could (in theory) strip the water from
your existing system and save it to a coordinate file, then insert your
polyatomic ions around the macromolecule, then re-solvate with the saved,
equilibrated water.  But if you're going to re-build it, re-equilibrating is
trivial anyway, and probably less work.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601