[gmx-users] Problem in energy minimization and further dynamics probably for atomic clashes

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 09:58:33 CEST 2014

The size of a step you can take is intrinsically tied to the typical size
of the forces being integrated. We equilibrate to get the coordinates into
a region of phase space that is meaningful, and this typically has the side
effect of producing forces that are smaller and so can be integrated over
larger time steps. This warning is intended to prevent a class of silly
errors related to this phenomenon. If the arbitrary force constant on an
interaction is too large then you have to take smaller steps or produce
junk integration. Or choose differently, perhaps based on your literature
reading about simulating such systems ;-)

Mark