[gmx-users] More suitable force field and water model

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 20 14:30:27 CEST 2014

On 6/20/14, 3:36 AM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> You are right.  :-)
>
> regarding quantities I mentioned (e.g, free energies and active site
> structure properties):
> How if we simulate our system twice? once using Gromos 53a6 and its
> parametrized water model (SPC, I guess) to estimate free energies and the
> second time using another force field which will not result in instability!
> In this way we can ensure our results are more precise. Of course it will
> cost more time.
>
> Please let me know your point of view about it.

Well, if you calculate a binding free energy to a structure that may not be
sufficiently stable or may sample nonphysical structures, then the binding free
energy will probably be wrong.  The 54a7 parameter set improved helical
stability and is based on the same principles as 53a6, so I would say just move
on from 53a6.

-Justin