[gmx-users] EnMin & constraints: Hamletic doubt

Nicola Staffolani nicola.staffolani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:12:21 CEST 2014

Thank you again for your precious suggestion!!

On 20 June 2014 15:04, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 6/20/14, 8:58 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
>
>> Sorry, that's true, I am mixing things up! I am using "constraints = none"
>> for EnMin (and here our findings apply → Δt = .5 fs (at least)) & then
>>

> dt is irrelevant during energy minimization; only emstep matters since the
> minimization algorithms are not dynamical.
>

>  "constraints = h-bonds" for the MD (and then so here I can probably safely
>> enough set Δt = 1 - 2 fs...
>>

> Beware that if you are using constraints in the MD, you should minimize
> with constraints, otherwise the minimized structure may have bond lengths
> that cause the constraint algorithm to fail.
>
> -Justin
>

>  Thank you and sorry for being not sufficiently clear!!
>>
>> Nicola
>>

>> On 20 June 2014 14:36, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 6/20/14, 8:34 AM, Nicola Staffolani wrote:
>>>
>>>  .5 fs even with h-bonds?

>>> "And I was thinking that we should remove the constraints if we want to
>>> see the appropriate oscillations!"
>>>
>>> it sounded like you would not be using constraints.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>>> Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow
>>>
>>> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
>>> School of Pharmacy
>>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
>>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>>> 20 Penn St.
>>> Baltimore, MD 21201
>>>
>>> jalemkul at outerbanks.umaryland.edu | (410) 706-7441
>>> http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/~jalemkul

>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

"New ideas, fragile as spring flowers, easily bruised by the tread of the
multitude, may yet be cherished by the solitary wanderer.", Fred Hoyle, *The
Black Cloud*.

"Everybody knows that something can't be done until somebody turns up who
doesn't know that it can't be done and he does it.", Albert Einstein

Sometime ago I met a fellow who was wearing an abnormally long tie - I
mean, it was abnormally long because of how the knot had been made, not
because the tie was an abnormally long one, and so I asked him why such an
abnormally long tie, and you know what he told me? That the tie belonged to
his grandfather!!