[gmx-users] hbond correspondence between hbond.log and hbmap.xpm

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 25 23:40:43 CEST 2014

On 6/25/14, 4:04 PM, Zheng Ruan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to gromacs and right now I'm trying to use g_hbond to analyze
> my trajectory. Basically, I create two selections in .ndx file and try
> to find hydrogen bonds between them. In the output, there is a
> "y-axis" record in hbond.xpm matrix file. The number of the elements
> of "y-axis" is the same with those in hbond.log file. I was wondering
> if they referred to the same thing. That is, if the first row below
> "y-axis" in hbmap.xpm telling me the hbond interaction of the first
> interaction in hbond.log file? Or it's the reverse? I'm asking the
> question because the hydrogen bond reported by g_hbond doesn't seems
> to be consistent with those found by pymol.

The "first" line after the y-axis entry is actually the "last" hydrogen bond
listed in hbond.ndx (and maybe the .log file; I've never used that one).  The
listed H-bonds are read from top-down (in order of increasing atom number) while
the matrix should be interpreted as "bottom-up" to correspond to an increasing
y-axis.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601