[gmx-users] Thanks to the developers heroic efforts!

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:41:45 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Mirco Wahab
<mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:
> I installed 5.0 on both Linux (GPU) and Windows (GPU)
> and it seems to work very good.
>
> Some remarks:
> On 29.06.2014 22:53, Mark Abraham wrote:
>>
>> * The native GPU port available in GROMACS 4.6 supports a wider range of
>> simulation types, and now requires CUDA 4.0
>

> Should I read this 4.6 as 5.0?
>
>> * GROMACS tools are now bundled together into *just two binaries* - mdrun
>> and gmx. The latter contains most of the tools familiar to you, perhaps
>> with new names, and a couple of new ones. For the time being, the install
>> procedure will also create symbolic links so that your old scripts will
>> keep working for a time, but these will go away at some future point!
>

> Here on Linux, mdrun is a symlink to gmx, so there should be one binary?
> On Windows, there is only one exe file 'gmx.exe' and (by default)
> nothing else (no symlinks). So, on my systems, there is one binary
> executeable per system installation.

Indeed, in most cases there is only one binary, gmx; what the above
meant is that in total two binaries *can be* built gmx and mdrun.
While gmx always contains the mdrun tool, it is often useful to build
only mdrun e.g. for cluster compute-nodes with custom parallelization
options, e.g. MPI.