[gmx-users] Set the environment variables of "FFTW3_INCLUDE_DIR" and "FFTW3_LIBRARIES"

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 3 15:18:34 CET 2014

On 3/3/14, 5:26 AM, Hassan Aaryapour wrote:
> Dear Gmx-user;
> I want to install double precision gromacs 4.5.3 and FFTW 3.3.2 in my
> home directory.
> first, according to the FFTW installation instructions I installed and
> introduced it to bash shell it as the following order:
>
> $tar -xzvf fftw-3.3.2.tar.gz
> $./configure --enable-threads --prefix=/home/WeNMR/ProgramFiles/fftw
> $make
> $make install
>
> export CPPFLAGS=-I/home/WeNMR/ProgramFiles/fftw/include
> export LDFLAGS=-L/home/WeNMR/ProgramFiles/fftw/lib
>
> but it isn't found automatically by cmake when I want to install gromacs.
> and this error was appeared:
>
>   CMake Error at
> /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108
> (message):
>     Could not find FFTW3.  Provide the fftw3 install directory in the
>     FFTW3_ROOT_DIR environment variable.  (missing: FFTW3_LIBRARIES
>     FFTW3_INCLUDE_DIR)
>   Call Stack (most recent call first):
>     /usr/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315
> (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
>     cmake/FindFFTW3.cmake:31 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
>     CMakeLists.txt:636 (find_package)
>

> How can I set the environment variables for "FFTW3_INCLUDE_DIR" and
> "FFTW3_LIBRARIES"?

Those are CMake command-line options.  See the full installation instructions
online, specifically
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions#4.4._Helping_CMake_find_the_right_libraries.2fheaders.2fprograms

Is there any reason you are installing outdated versions of Gromacs and FFTW?

-Justin

> can I add my FFTW installed path to "CMakeLists.txt" file in the
> related section in below? how?
>
> if(${GMX_FFT_LIBRARY} STREQUAL "FFTW3")
> #    MESSAGE(STATUS "Using external FFT library - fftw3")
>      if(GMX_DOUBLE)
>          find_package(FFTW3 REQUIRED)
> 		include_directories(${FFTW3_INCLUDE_DIR})
>          set(FFT_LIBRARIES ${FFTW3_LIBRARIES})
>          set(PKG_FFT "fftw3")
>      else(GMX_DOUBLE)
>          find_package(FFTW3F REQUIRED)
>          include_directories(${FFTW3F_INCLUDE_DIR})
>          set(FFT_LIBRARIES ${FFTW3F_LIBRARIES})
>          set(PKG_FFT "fftw3f")
>      endif(GMX_DOUBLE)
>

> Thank you in advance