[gmx-users] Launching MPI/OpenMP hybrid run

alex.bjorling alex.bjorling at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 09:25:08 CET 2014

Carsten Kutzner wrote
> On 04 Mar 2014, at 13:43, alex.bjorling <

> alex.bjorling@

> > wrote:
>
>> Carsten Kutzner wrote
>>> On 04 Mar 2014, at 13:08, Alexander Björling <
>>
>>> alex.bjorling@

>>> Did you provide a hostfile / machinefile containing the names of your
>>> nodes you want the MPI processes to be started on?
>>
>> No, I just asked SLURM for two nodes, the way I would if I was running
>> MPI-only jobs.
> Then SLURM is not positioning your MPI processes correctly.
> This problem should be independent of Gromacs.

You're right. One has to specifically ask SLURM to distribute the processes
(--ntasks-per-socket=1). I recompiled Gromacs using Open MPI (instead of
Intel) and am almost there. With

mpirun -npersocket 1 -bysocket -cpus-per-proc 8 gmx_mpi mdrun -ntomp 8 ...,

I get two processes per node, but unfortunately both run on the same socket,
each at ~300%. Obviously this is an Open MPI issue not a Gromacs one.

Thanks for your response,
Alex