[gmx-users] pbc problems

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:08:06 CET 2014

On 3/5/14, 1:08 AM, 申昊 wrote:

>>> Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> I am a new one of gromacs. When a simulation of protein in water is finished,
>>> should i first use the command of trjconv to remove pbc conditions(with
>>> nojump or mol), and then began analyze the new trajectory(rmsd, Rg and some
>>> other parameters)? Is the result believable without removing the pbc
>>> conditions or it is necessary for some specific calculations?
>>>

>> Most Gromacs programs deal with PBC with no manipulation required, some do not.
>>    g_rms needs a properly processed trajectory.
>>
>> -Justin
>>

> Thank you for your response!
> As you said, i also found the Rmsd by using -nojump or -mol is different from that without these commands. And i can not
> decide which one is more accurate. Furthermore, can you list some other parameters that need removed pbc conditions?

RMSD will either be a normal-looking plot or something insane with massive
changes when the molecule of interest jumps across a boundary.  The one that is
"right" should be fairly clear under those circumstances :)

> such as SDF calculation ...

SDF needs a fitted reference, corrected for both PBC and translation/rotation.
Exact instructions for such manipulations are given in the help text of g_spatial.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore