[gmx-users] inclusion of water in gromacs input files

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:09:16 CET 2014

On 3/5/14, 1:42 AM, Chetan Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to gromacs and I used acpype (amber2gromacs) tool to generate
> *.top and *.gro from Amber files *.prmtop and *.inpcrd. For  water, this
> tool placed following in *.top file:
>

> [ moleculetype ]
> ; molname       nrexcl ; TIP3P model
>    WAT             2
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr   type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass
>       1     OW      1     WAT     O      1     -0.834   16.00000
>       2     HW      1     WAT    H1      1      0.417    1.00800
>       3     HW      1     WAT    H2      1      0.417    1.00800
>
> #ifdef FLEXIBLE
> [ bonds ]
> ; i j   funct   length  force.c.
> 1   2   1   0.09572   462750.4
> 1   3   1   0.09572   462750.4
>
> [ angles ]
> ; i j   k   funct   angle   force.c.
> 2   1   3   1   104.520    836.800
> #else
> [ settles ]
> ; i   funct   length-oh length -hh
> 1   1   0.09572 0.15139
>
> [ exclusions ]
> 1   2   3
> 2   1   3
> 3   1   2
> #endif
>
> [ system ]
>   tio2_wpep
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        nmols
>   tio2_wpep        1
>   NA+                  1
>   WAT              3656
>
>                                                                          *My
> question is it does not include any topology details for 3656 water
> molecules either in this file or separately. Instead it has topology
> defined for standard water molecule in atoms section above. However,
> Gromacs accepted these two files as they are and runs were made. Please
> comment if I need to include water topology details for all 3656 water
> molecules. *

What topology details would you include?  The program simply printed a full
TIP3P topology, which mimics the effect of #including the tip3p.itp file.  It is
a complete water topology and needs nothing else.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore