[gmx-users] charge group number

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 5 12:10:13 CET 2014

On 3/5/14, 5:25 AM, Chetan Mahajan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am just learning how to assign charge group number. For TiO2 slab,
>   amber2gromacs tool (acpype) I used assigns cgnr increasing consecutively
> from Ti atoms followed by oxygen atoms. Clearly charge group here ( either
> Ti or O) does not have zero charge. Can anyone throw light on why cgnr
> should be like this (individual atoms) here?
>
> Also in formate anion, should I have charge groups (charge in the bracket)
> as
> follows:
>
> charge group 1 : C (0.9) and O (-0.88) together
> charge group 2 : O (-0.88)
> charge group 3: H (-0.147)

If you are using PME, there is no requirement that charge groups contain
integral charges.  Most force fields (including AMBER!) do not use multi-atom
charge groups, so each atom in its own group is fine.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore