[gmx-users] Fwd: sigma unit conversion

Barnett, James W. jbarnet4 at tulane.edu
Thu Mar 6 15:17:29 CET 2014

The Amber molecular dynamics program (sander) uses a different format of the
van der Waals equation, so Amber force fields are designed to use different
parameters than those used in Gromacs. So, it's not as simple as converting
from Angstroms to nanometers. The coefficents used in the Amber force fields
are not simply Gromacs sigma and epsilon.

Here is a document related to your question from the Amber site:
http://ambermd.org/Questions/vdwequation.pdf

Additionally combination rule 2 in Gromacs is a Lorentz-Berthelot rule (see
section 5.3.2 in the Gromacs manual). This is just how the force field was
designed.

I'm just someone who uses acpype occasionally, so I hope this is helpful.

James Barnett