[gmx-users] Problem with small number of water molecules

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 11 19:13:47 CET 2014

On 3/11/14, 2:03 PM, ehs wrote:
> Hi gmx users,
>
> I have tried many ways to simulate a relatively long ionomer chain (340
> atoms) solvated in about 100 water molecules, but I did not succeeded yet.
> The ionomer length is mainly in x direction. For instance, I used the
> following commands:
>
>    editconf_d -f conf.gro -bt dodecahedron -box 2 1 1 -d 0.5 -o box.gro
>
>    genbox_d -cp box.gro -cs spc216.gro  -p topol.top -o sol.gro
>
> The number of SOL molecules added is 94. However, it is uniformly
> distributed in the box and only exists in the central region of the box. I
> ran the energy minimization using sol.gro, but it does not converge to
> Fmax<100. I checked the output file and it seems that all SOL molecules have
> been shifted to left corner of the box. I hope somebody could help me.

That's how genbox works.  It tiles the solvent coordinate file starting at the
coordinate origin until the box is full or a maximum number of waters have been
added.  I don't see how the above commands would limit the number of waters to
94.  Have you provided the exact commands?  Are you using -maxsol?

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore