[gmx-users] Dubious results with NPT

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 12 13:00:33 CET 2014

On 3/12/14, 7:51 AM, sujithkakkat . wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   After a while I got back to the problem posted here. This issue was the
> large value for average  pressure(~25 bar against the reference pressure of
> 1 bar) in NPT simulations with parrinello rahman barostat. The system
> studied is cyclohexane-water system with an interface.
> The forcefield is Gromos96. Gromacs 4.6.5 version is used.
>
> I recollect a post from Michael Shirts which says that with systems that
> are heterogeneous in direction (not uniform in x y and z), any errors in
> the pressure may be magnified. Is this what is  happening in my case?
>
> Based on your suggestions , I tried the following to analyze/solve the
> problem, and till now the results have not improved a bit.
>
>   (i) The system was simplified. Each phases was simulated separately. The
> results were good, with proper values of average pressure after NPT
> simulation for both independent water and cyclohexane systems. However,
> when doing the same with similar parameters on the water-cyclohexane
> combined system with parrinello-rahman barostat , still gives very high
> average pressure (even after 10ns )
>
>   (ii) Changing the tau_p values did not help either. (I tried 1ps, 2ps,
> and  4ps)
>
> My question is whether, I can try the semiisotropic scaling? The manual
> says that it is useful in case of systems with interface.  I am not sure,
> since none of the replies I got suggested that option, which gives the
> impression that it is not the best solution. But , to my limited knowledge
> that is the only option left to be tried to solve the issue.

Worth a shot.  Also try changing the barostat to Berendsen to see if that
changes anything.  There are a lot of interrelated issues here, possibly a
problem with the barostat, the tau_p value, the type of coupling, the
combination of the integrator and barostat...you see how complicated it gets,
and that's only some of the possible issues.

-Justin

>                The mdp file used is,
>
> ; 7.3.3 Run Control
> integrator              = md
> tinit                      = 0
> dt                         = 0.001
> nsteps                  = 10000000
> comm_mode         = Linear
> nstcomm              = 1
> comm_grps           = CHX SOL
>
> ; 7.3.8 Output Control
> nstxout                 = 25000
> nstvout                 = 25000
> nstfout                  = 25000
> nstlog                   = 100
> nstenergy              = 100
> nstxtcout               = 100
> xtc_precision          = 1000
> xtc_grps                 = System
> energygrps              = System
>
> ; 7.3.9 Neighbor Searching
> nstlist                    = 10
> ns_type                 = grid
> pbc                       = xyz
> rlist                       = 0.9
>
> ; 7.3.10 Electrostatics
> coulombtype             = PME
> rcoulomb                   = 0.9
>
> ; 7.3.11 VdW
> vdwtype                 = cut-off
> rvdw                      = 1.4
> DispCorr                 = EnerPres
>
> ; 7.3.13 Ewald
> fourierspacing          = 0.12
> pme_order               = 4
> ewald_rtol                = 1e-5
>
> ; 7.3.14 Temperature Coupling
> tcoupl                   = nose-hoover
> tc_grps                 = CHX        SOL
> tau_t                     = 0.5        0.5
> ref_t                     = 298        298
>
> ; 7.3.15 Pressure Coupling
> pcoupl                     = parrinello-rahman
> pcoupltype              = isotropic
> tau_p                      = 2.0
> compressibility        = 4.5e-5
> ref_p                      = 1.0