[gmx-users] FYI: How to install Gromacs 4.6.5 on Windows 7: keep cygwin packages 1.7.1-2 for OpenMPI: version 1.7.4-2 for OpenMPI is compatibel

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 13:25:58 CET 2014

Hi Chris,

I've got a few questions/comments.

> 7) -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="/cygdrive/c/Gromacs465" is the installation directory -DGMX_MPI=OFF With the second installation 10) to 13) you will replace the non-mpi mdrun.exe with one that can run on multiple cores. If you omit this step, the generated mdrun.exe will not work as it is not compatible with the current cygwin setup.

It's not clear to me what is not compatible with cygwin? Is it
thread-MPI you are referring to?
Have you tried OpenMP parallelization?

> -DGMX_PREFER_STATIC_LIBS=ON makes sure your library is found: pointing to it via -DFFTW_LIBRARY and -DFFTW_INCLUDE causes errors.

Not really:
- Using FFTW_LIBRARY/FFTW_INCLUDE is not really the appropriate way to
hint the location of FFTW; use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH instead (see the docs
for more details).
- GMX_PREFER_STATIC_LIBS=ON just tells cmake to look for static
archives instead of dynamic libraries to link with. I think both
should work,

> -DGMX_CPU_ACCELERATION=SSE2 makes sure to select the Gromacs compatible acceleration.

Not sure what you mean by "compatible" - GROMACS 4.6 supports SSE2,
SSE4.1, AVX (128-bit+FMA/256-bit) and your CPU is an Intel Sandy
Bridge which is capable of AVX (http://goo.gl/a8vAgK). You should not
specify any SIMD/acceleration unless you are compiling for another
machine (or your compiler does not support your CPU). Instead let
CMake detect your CPU's capability and select the appropriate setting.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd