[gmx-users] MPI error in gromacs 4.6, more Errors

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 24 13:14:05 CET 2014

On 3/24/14, 7:57 AM, Ankita Naithani wrote:
> Hi, so I modified my mdp file which now looks like the following:
>
> title        = production MD
> ; Run parameters
> integrator    = md        ; leap-frog algorithm
> ;nsteps        = 20000000    ; 0.005 * 20000000 = 100000 ps or 100 ns
> ;nsteps        = 200000    ; 0.005 * 200000 = 1 ns
> ;dt        = 0.005        ; 5 fs
> nsteps        = 33333333    ; 0.003 * 33333333 = 100000 ps or 100 n
> dt        = 0.003        ; 3 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout        = 0        ; save coordinates every 2 ps
> nstvout        = 0        ; save velocities every 2 ps
> nstxtcout    = 1000        ; xtc compressed trajectory output every 5 ps
> nstenergy    = 1000            ; save energies every 5 ps
> nstlog        = 1000            ; update log file every 5 ps
> ; Bond parameters
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints    = all-bonds    ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> lincs_iter    = 1        ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order    = 4        ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type        = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist        = 5        ; 25 fs
> rlist        = 1.0        ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.0        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.0        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> rlistlong    = 1.0        ; long-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range
> electrostatics
> pme_order    = 4        ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing    = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
> nstcomm = 10                    ; remove com every 10 steps
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl        = V-rescale    ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps        = Protein Non-Protein    ; two coupling groups - more
> accurate
> tau_t        = 0.1    0.1    ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t        = 318     318    ; reference temperature, one for each group,
> in K
> ; Pressure coupling is off
> pcoupl          = berendsen    ; Berendsen thermostat
> pcoupltype    = isotropic    ; uniform scaling of box vectors
> tau_p        = 1.0        ; time constant, in ps
> ref_p        = 1.0        ; reference pressure, in bar
> compressibility = 4.5e-5    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc        = xyz        ; 3-D PBC
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel        = yes        ; Velocity generation is on
> gen_temp    = 318        ; reference temperature, for protein in K
>

> But, when I try to generate the tpr file on the cluster itself using
> [...]

Do as the notes suggest.  They're not fatal errors, they're just cautionary.
You should probably educate yourself a bit further on what all of these
algorithms are by taking a look at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Cut-off_schemes.  The Verlet scheme is not
mandatory, but it is required by the type of parallelization you requested.

Reviewers may question the changes in version and cutoff methods when critiquing
your work, so be aware of that.  Also, the instability you are seeing is
probably a result of the large time step, unless you are using virtual sites.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore