[gmx-users] Protein-Ligand MS simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 24 14:22:21 CET 2014

On 3/24/14, 8:52 AM, MUSYOKA THOMMAS wrote:
> Hello. I have a protein pdb and the best pose of a ligand obtained through
> docking using auto dock. However, when I combine the ligand and protein
> using the discovery studio, some residues like Lysine in the protein pdb
> gets protonated as well as the N-terminal residue. Is this unusual and can
> it affect the MD end results?

I can't speak to what's "usual" in Discovery Studio (and there's probably a
better forum for that, anyway), but it seems like it's just assuming "standard"
(pH 7) protonation states.  Both lysine and the N-terminus are predominantly
protonated at neutral pH.  Protonation state can have a major impact on the
outcome of a simulation, especially in binding sites, and should be chosen wisely.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore