[gmx-users] Umbrella pulling Drug + Ion channel

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 25 02:21:11 CET 2014

On 3/24/14, 8:56 PM, Andres Ortega wrote:
> Dear gromacs users, i ´ve beem trying to get the geometries of a drug
> molecule permeating an ion channel,
> the drug molecule is in a greater Z position than the Protein, but i always
> get the error :"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

Does the simulation crash without using the pull code?

> this is my .mdp
>
> title       = Umbrella pulling simulation DOX
> ; Run parameters
> integrator  = md
> dt          = 0.002
> tinit       = 0
> nsteps      = 250000    ; 500 ps
> nstcomm     = 10
> ; Output parameters
> nstxout     = 5000      ; every 10 ps
> nstvout     = 5000
> nstfout     = 500
> nstxtcout   = 500       ; every 1 ps
> nstenergy   = 500
>
> cutoff-scheme = Verlet
>
> ; Bond parameters
> constraint_algorithm    = lincs
> constraints             = all-bonds
> continuation            = yes             ; continuing from NPT
> ; Single-range cutoff scheme
> nstlist     = 20
> ns_type     = grid
> rlist       = 1.2
> rcoulomb    = 1.2
> rvdw        = 1.2
> ; PME electrostatics parameters
> coulombtype     = PME
> fourierspacing  = 0.12
> fourier_nx      = 0
> fourier_ny      = 0
> fourier_nz      = 0
> pme_order       = 4
> ewald_rtol      = 1e-5
> optimize_fft    = yes
> ; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in two groups
> Tcoupl      = Nose-Hoover
> tc_grps     = Protein  POPC Water_and_ions_DOX
> tau_t       = 1.0    1.0   1.0
> ref_t       = 310    310   310
> ; Pressure coupling is on
> Pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
> pcoupltype      = semiisotropic
> tau_p           = 1.0
> compressibility = 4.5e-5 4.5e-5
> ref_p           = 1.0   1.0
> refcoord_scaling = com
> ; Generate velocities is off
> gen_vel     = no
> ; Periodic boundary conditions are on in all directions
> pbc     = xyz
> ; Long-range dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres
> ; Pull code
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = cylinder  ;
> pull_vec1       = 0.0 0.0 1.0 ;
> pull_dim        = N N Y
> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0     = Protein
> pull_group1     = DOX
> pull-r1 = 1.0
> pull-r0 = 1.0
> pull_rate1      = 0.01      ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull_k1         = 800      ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
> pull_pbcatom0   = 8485
>
> According with other post, i have to select a pull_pbcatom0 closes to the
> middle of my reference ( an atom close to the middle of the ion channel's
> pore) and a pull_vec1 positive even if the drug is "above" the channel, i
> was wondering if you could help me with this, or giving me an advice of this
> error, thanks in advance

pull_pbcatom0 is not relevant here.  It's used to determine periodic distances,
and only in certain cases.  In fact, if you read the manual entry for it, you
will note:

"This parameter is not used with geometry cylinder."

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore