[gmx-users] [gmx-developers] Problem in compiling Gromacs 4.6.1 with GPU on MAC OS X

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:09:33 CET 2014

On OS X the CUDA compiler only supports the official OS X toolchain,
Xcode. Hence you'll have to use as CUDA_HOST_COMPILER either
gcc(-llvm) or clang from Xcode. NVIDIA actually has pretty decent docs
on this:
http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-mac-os-x/

The forwarded error was caused by the fact that nvcc uses clang as a
host-compiler while the standard C/C++ compiler you used is probably
gcc. Hence, as the gcc C++ compiler flags are propagated to clang and
this chokes on it. To work around this issue you can:
- use clang as your C/C++ compiler (but this will leave you without OpenMP) or
- set CUDA_PROPAGATE_HOST_FLAGS=OFF.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd