[gmx-users] interaction energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 30 17:10:23 CEST 2014

On 3/30/14, 10:55 AM, pratibha wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to calculate LJ and coulombic interaction energy between
> protein backbone and ligand And also between protein sidechain and ligand. I
> am able to calculate interaction energy between protein and ligand by
> specifying these groups in *.mdp file, creating tpr, using mdrun -rerun
> option and finally using g_energy. But I am unable to understand how to
> dissect this contribution into protein backbone and sidechain?
> If I specify energygrps as Backbone LIG,
> then I am getting following error:
> atoms 1 and 2 in charge group 1 of molecule type 'Protein_A' are in
> different energy groups
> which I understand (from previous posts) comes when we remove any group
> necessary for other functions (although we dont need these in our energy
> calculations).
> So, then I have specified following energy groups in my *.mdp file:
> Protein Backbone LIG
> But now I am getting following error:
> Atom 1 in multiple Energy Mon. groups (1 and 2)
>
> My question is how can I calculate protein's backbone and sidechain
> interaction energies with the ligand separately?

Specify them as separate groups.  The backbone is a subset of the whole protein,
hence the error above.  Moreover, I don't think the "Backbone" group is what
you'll want - it only contains N, CA, and C atoms, no H or O.  You probably want
"MainChain+H" to include possible electrostatic/hydrogen bonding interactions,
then "SideChain" for the remaining sidechain atoms.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore